HAWAII VESSEL REGISTRATION FEES & CHARGES
Updated 2/1/10 (Act 150, SLH 1987)
A. Except for vessels for which fees and charges are provided in subsection b., for each vessel required to be registered and numbered by Section 200-31, HRS, the Department of Land and Natural Resources shall assess and collect from the owner, the following fees and charges:
(1) Initial Registration Fee: For the issuance of an original certificate:
(a) For each vessel less than twenty feet in length, $18.00
(b) For each vessel twenty feet or more in length, $30.00
(c) For each amphibious vehicle licensed as a motor vehicle, $20.00.
(2) Annual Certificate Renewal Fee: For the annual renewal of a certificate:
(a) For each vessel less than twenty feet in length, $15.00
(b) For each vessel twenty feet or more in length, $20.00
(c) For each amphibious vehicle licensed as a motor vehicle, $15.00.
(3) Registration Fee: For the registration of a vessel, after a certificate has been canceled or voided, the appropriate amount provided in subsection a.(1).
(4) Transfer Fee: For the transfer of a certificate, $10.00
(5) Certificate and Registration Decal Replacement Fee: For the issuance of a replacement certificate or a set of vessel registration decals, $10.00.
(6) Certificate Modification Fee: For modifying a certificate, $10.00.
(7) Penalty charges for late registration, etc. For each month or fraction thereof that a registration, renewal, or transfer is delinquent, one-tenth (10%) of the appropriate fee shall be added to the normal fee.
(8) No fee shall be charged by the department for registration, annual renewal, or transfer, relating to a vessel whose owner is the United States, the State or a subdivision thereof
(9) A non-profit corporation whose purposes relate to promoting the ability of children to do things for themselves, to train them in boating, water safety, scout-craft and camping, and to teach them patriotism, courage, self-reliance and kindred virtues shall not be required to pay the fees provided in this section relating to vessels owned and used exclusively for the purposes of such organizations.
B. For a vessel owned by or operated under the custody or control of a boat manufacturer or boat dealer, the manufacturer or dealer shall pay, in lieu of the fees and charges provided for in subsection a.:
(1) Boat Manufacturer (MA) and Boat Dealer (DA) Certificate Fee: For each certificate, a fee of $30.00
(2) Annual Certificate Renewal Fee: For the annual renewal of a certificate, a fee of $20.00.
(3) Certificate Re-issuance: For the re-issuance of a certificate after a certificate has been canceled or voided, a fee of $25.00.
(4) Certificate and Registration Decal Replacement Fee: For the replacement of a certificate or registration decal, a fee of $10.00, upon request of the principal owner.
C. The penalty fees prescribed in this section are in addition to any penalties imposed by a court for violations of the provisions of the boating rules.
D. Payment of fees required prior to processing. No application for a Certificate of Number, transfer or renewal of certificate, or for duplicate Certificate of Number or duplicate registration decals shall be processed until the prescribed frees and charges are paid.
Special Instructions Concerning Penalty Fees:
A penalty may be due if the owner of a vessel has failed to apply for Hawaii registration when required to do so. However, no penalty will be due:
(1) If the vessel has not been operated on the waters of the State, in this case a completed Form LNR 3-026, “Certificate of Non-Use”, must accompany that application.
(2) As a result of operation under a dealer’s or manufacturer’s number, such an application must be accompanied by a Form LNR 3-192, “Statement of Facts”, from the dealer certifying that any operation of the vessel prior to the date of application was under the dealer’s number.
Annual Fee For Ramp Permit Decals:
A. Ramp Permit Decals: $50.00 Pursuant to Section 13-234-34, Hawaii Administrative Rules, the annual fee for the ramp permit decals shall be $50.00. There shall be (2) decals issued annually on the anniversary of the annual registration renewal of the vessel for placement as directed by the administrative rule above.
B. Duplicate Ramp Permit Decal: $10.00 The fee for duplicate ramp permit decals shall be the same as prescribed for the annual registration decals.
STATE OF HAWAII DEPARTMENT OF LAND & NATURAL RESOURCES
DIVISION OF BOATING & OCEAN RECREATION
333 QUEEN STREET, SUITE 300
HONOLULU HAWAII 96813
(808) 587-1970 - 24-Hour Information Line (808) 587-1882