Construction of Hickam Field began in 1935. Four aircraft and 12 men moved from Luke Field to Hickam on August 28, 1937, living in a tent city while construction continued.
- Lt. Col. Horace Hickam for whom Hickam Field, later Hickam Air Force Base, was named, c1932-1934.
- Aerial view of Hickam Field before construction, May 28, 1936. Originally known as Tracks A&B this property was acquired on April 3, 1935 at a cost of $1,095,54.78 from the Bishop, Damon & Queen Emma Estates. The area was 2,225.46 acres.
- Construction at Hickam Field, January 6, 1937. By the end of 1935 the site was cleared. During 1936, the first phase had been surveyed and cut, railroad tracks and sidings constructed, and freshwater connections installed. Navy censors obliteratred Pearl Harbor. The gate house is in place at the bottom of the photo.
- Hickam Field Map, 1937.
- Work was completed on four double hangars, a paved 800 x 3,000-foot landing mat, dock, boathouse and mole, sewer system, fresh water system, radio building, operations building with a fenced magazine area, railroad and parallel highway by July 21, 1937. Navy censors blocked out Pearl Harbor.
- First Lt. Robert Warren moved from Luke Field with four aircraft and 12 men and became Hickam Field's first commanding officer on August 27, 1937. They were attached to Fort Kamehameha for rations, quarters and medical; however medical and quartermaster units were later moved into this tent city at Hickam.
- Wings at the entranceway flanking the gatehouse of Hickam Field were in place in 1937 but not yet painted and a perimeter fence had been installed. The original concrete gate portals still remain today, and were moved back to their present location in April 1978.
- One of the concrete portals flanking Hickam Field's main gate, February 21, 1938. This is believed to be a replica of portals at Kitty Hawk where the Wright Brothers made their historic flight.
- Location of tent city at Hickam Field is clearly shown (lower right hand corner). Base Operations and first four hangars have been completed. Bishop Point dock and submarine net pier are in place and Hangar Avenue extends to Bishop Point, March 31, 1938.
- A formation of Martin B-12 and Douglas B-18 bombers over Hickam Field with some roads paved. The Diamond Head extension of the taxiway was begun by grading equipment and the railroad is in place to the left of the taxiway, June 18, 1938.
- The water tower, paved roads, underground power, family housing, Bishop Point dock, hangars, Base Operations, apron and taxiway are in place, November 17, 1938. The railroad has been moved to Hangar Avenue and men continue to live in tents.
- Loading aircraft at Hickam Field, c1938.