You are here: Home > Airfields & Airports > Oahu

Oahu

Up one level

The first airfield on Oahu was Luke Field at Ford Island. Airfields were expanded to Wheeler and Schofield Barracks. John Rodgers Field was dedicated by the Territory of Hawaii in 1927. Construction of Hickam Field began in the late 1930s. Before World War II, new airfields and airstrips were opened by the military, including NAS Barber's Point, Ewa and Kaneohe, and Bellows Field. Small airstrips were also developed by private pilots.

John Rodgers Airport
John Rodgers Airport was the first airport in the Territory of Hawaii. It was dedicated on March 27, 1927. The airport was named after pioneer aviator John Rodgers who made the first trans-Pacific flight on August 31, 1925.
Honolulu International Airport
John Rodgers Airport was renamed Honolulu Airport on May 2, 1947 after it was returned to the Territory by the military after World War II. The airport was renamed Honolulu International Airport on April 27, 1951. A new jet age passenger terminal (John Rodgers Terminal) was constructed on the north ramp and dedicated on August 22, 1962. The south ramp where the airport was originally located became home to cargo, general aviation and aircraft maintenance activities. A new Commuter Terminal was dedicated on June 2, 1988. A new Interisland Terminal was dedicated on July 20, 1993.
Honolulu International Airport Air Traffic Statistics
 
Ala Moana Airport
 
Ala Wai Heliport
 
Barber's Point
Barber's Point Naval Air Station was commissioned on April 15, 1942. The base was decomissioned in 1998 and turned over to the State of Hawaii for use as Kalaeloa Airport, an alternate landing site for Honolulu International Airport and for general aviation purposes.
Bellows Field
The Waimanalo Military Reservation was established in 1917. The installation was renamed Bellows Field in 1933 to honor 2nd Lt. Franklin B. Bellows.
Dillingham Field
Dillingham Field was originally known as Mokuleia Airfield and was established by the Army in 1922 as Camp Kawaihapai. Today it is used by the state for glider and sky diving activities.
Ford Island/Luke Field
 
Haleiwa Field
Haleiwa Field was located on the northwest coast of Oahu, 30 miles from Honolulu. Originally (prewar) it was a center for private flying. The Army improved the field during the early part of World War II and in 1944 the Navy took the field over for carrier-landing training. In 1946 the field became part of the Territorial airport system.
Hickam Field/Air Force Base
 
Kalaeloa Airport
Formerly Barbers Point NAS, Kalaeloa Airport was deeded to the State of Hawaii on July 1, 1999 as a general aviation reliever airport. It also supports the U.S. Coast Guard, Hawaii National Guard and the Hawaii Community College Flight Program.
Kaneohe Naval Air Station
The Navy decided to acquire all of Mokapu Peninsula to expand Naval Air Station Kaneohe, a sea plane base it had begun building in September 1939 and would commission on 15 February 1941.
Kipapa Field
Kipapa Field was situated on the central plateau of Oahu 15 miles from downtown Honolulu on the road which leads to Haleiwa Airport.
Naval Air Station 29 (Honolulu)
 
Naval Air Station 128 (Pearl Harbor/Ford Island)
 
Wheeler Field
 
Dillingham Field Air Traffic Statistics
Dillingham Field is used by general aviation, glider and parasail companies and the military.
Ford Island Air Traffic Statistics
Ford Island was leased by the State from 1970 to 1999 for use by general aviation, student pilots and flight schools. It was closed when the State acquired Kalaeloa Airport.
Governor's Executive Orders Kalaeloa Airport
 
Kalaeloa Airport Air Traffic Statistics
Kalaeloa Airport is used primarily by general aviation aircraft, flight schools and the military.
1947 Kipapa
 
Photos
 

Hawaii Aviation is brought to you courtesy of the State of Hawaii Department of Transportation, Airports Division.