IRH Home | About the IRH Branch |
Indoor Air Quality |
A/C Ventilation |
Lead-Based Paint |
The Asbestos Program is guided by the following program
objectives and strategies:
To protect public health and the environment from exposure to asbestos
through the implementation of the Hawaii Administrative Rule, Title 11 Chapters 501 through 504
requirements, and the Neutral Administrative Inspection Scheme (NAIS) developed under the federal
cooperative grant agreement with EPA.
- Respond to all complaints and service requests received.
- Conduct HAR Chapter 11-501 through 11-504 related inspections.
- Conduct containment inspections.
- Conduct asbestos permitted landfill inspections.
- Conduct audits for asbestos training providers.
- Identify outdated methods, develop and implement standard changes and amend state
laws, rules, and operating procedures to be consistent with national requirements.
- Secure adequate resources to effectively implement and maintain the program.
Acquire state funding to match federal dollars, collect fees and utilize these fees for
operating program costs.
- Receive, review, and record asbestos renovation and demolition notifications
and monitor for compliance.
- Provide outreach services for each program through newsletters, informational
meetings, brochures, and presentations to agencies/associations.
- Implement the asbestos enforcement policy.
Asbestos cement pipe
Maintain State of Hawaii asbestos abatement accreditation,
certification, and registration systems for asbestos entities and individuals.
- Implement audit scheme for accredited training providers.
- Accreditation, certification, and registration processing.
- Provide asbestos abatement entities with correspondence on current issues,
interpretations and policy determinations.
Asbestos-containing waste material
If you have any questions, please contact:
Indoor and Radiological Health Branch
591 Ala Moana Blvd.
Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: (808) 586-5800
Fax: (808) 586-5811
Thomas Lileikis, Environmental Health
Back to Top of Page
Last update: November 26, 2012
Website maintained by