Reducing hazardous waste generated in Hawaii is an important concern to the public,
businesses, and the state. To promote effective environmental protection while helping
businesses reduce costs, the Hawai`i State Department of Health’s Hazardous Waste Section
established the Pollution Prevention & Waste Minimization Program. The Program is dedicated
to helping businesses find ways to reduce waste generation at the source, prevent pollution
and recycle the wastes that cannot be reduced.
Businesses can benefit from pollution prevention through:
- Improved health and performance of workers.
- Lower material and waste costs.
- Reduced regulatory compliance liability.
- More efficient and higher quality production.
- Reduced pollution and increased conservation of resources.
- Public recognition for environmentally sound business practices.
Pollution prevention and waste minimization practices include source reduction
activities that reduce waste generation and recycling activities that recover
materials from hazardous waste streams for reuse. Methods for minimizing wastes
are as follows:
- Better operating procedures to efficiently use material and avoid spills or cross
contamination of waste streams.
- Substitution of nonhazardous or less hazardous material for hazardous materials.
- Process changes that reduce hazardous materials used and reduce waste generated.
- Product redesign to avoid using hazardous materials that generate wastes.
- Recycling and reuse of hazardous and other wastes.
The Hawai`i Pollution Prevention & Waste Minimization Program offers a variety of services
to businesses interested in reducing their generation of wastes and conserving their use of resources:
- Workshops and presentations to provide specific techniques and methods to minimize
and prevent the generation of wastes.
- Technical Bulletins addressing pollution prevention and regulatory compliance for waste generators.
- Special projects working with specific priority industries and providing on-site assist visits.
- Awards program recognizing businesses that go beyond compliance by implementing pollution prevention
practices that reduce pollution and waste, conserve energy, water and other resources.
For more information please contact the Pollution Prevention Coordinator at (808) 586-4226
Auto Body & Paint (2006)
Painting – Architectural (2006)
Textile Cleaning (2006)
November 2005 - Silver Recovery Services (128K)
December 2005 - Regulatory Education bulletin for Hotels (108K)
|If you do not have the Adobe Acrobat Reader
installed on your computer, you need to install it before you can view
and print the downloadable PDF files. The Acrobat Reader is free and
can be downloaded to your computer by clicking on the button:
Solid and Hazardous Waste Branch
Hawai'i Department of Health
919 Ala Moana Boulevard #212
Honolulu, Hawai'i 96814
Phone: (808) 586-4226
Fax: (808) 586-7509