Helping small businesses overcome hurdles in environmental regulations.
The Compliance Assistance Office (CAO) was established within the Department of Health (DOH) in 1998 to help small businesses overcome the hurdles they face in their efforts to succeed in business while following environmental regulations. Our free and confidential services help support our mission to:
- promote communication between the DOH and small businesses, and help distribute materials explaining regulations to small businesses;
- intercede in disputes between small businesses and DOH;
- promote the inclusion of small business perspectives in rule-making; and
- work with DOH staff to increase their understanding of small businesses.
The CAO is staffed by an Environmental Ombudsman and a secretary. With such a small staff, we rely heavily on a team of staff from the various regulatory offices who have expertise in the full range of environmental topics.
For more information, please download our Business Assistance Brochure. (pdf, 909kb)
Have you recently applied for or received an environmental permit?
- Fill in and submit (mail/fax/e-mail) your permit survey. (pdf, 2.24mb)
The survey can also be accessed and submitted on the Environmental Health Administration's e-Permitting Portal here.
Do you need to access a government record?
- Submit this form to one of the Environmental Health Administration offices. (pdf, 645kb)
- The 2013 Compliance Assistance Calendar for Dry Cleaners, created by the DOH Clean Air Branch, is now available for download here. (pdf, 4.93mb)
- EPA Collision Repair Campaign Video is available for online viewing. (youtube.com)
Access to CAO Bulletins, guidance manuals, brochures and regulations
that relate to your small business
A list of important links to other internet resources for small
Agriculture | Air Quality | Automotive |
Chemicals | Electronics | Hazardous Materials | Healthcare | Metal Finishing |
Paints | Printed Wiring Boards | Transportation | Other
|Address: ||Genevieve Salmonson, Environmental Ombudsman
Compliance Assistance Office
Hawaii State Department of Health
919 Ala Moana Boulevard, Room 219
Honolulu, Hawaii 96814
Last updated 1/13 by MT