To promote optimal oral health for the residents
of the State of Hawai`i through the development of public policy which
helps assure adequate access to basic dental care and through the
development and implementation of early detection, disease prevention
and treatment programs targeting high risk populations.
As the only Dental Public Health program in
the State, the Dental Health Division:
- Provides leadership and a focal point for the
community in matters associated with oral disease and oro-facial
- Conducts research and investigations relating to the incidence,
prevalence, cause, diagnosis, management/treatment and prevention of
- Provides technical and consultative services associated with
community-based efforts to address oral health needs. Facility and
program design technical assistance and consultation are provided on an
on-going basis to organizations addressing community health, services
for persons with disabilities, rural health and Native Hawaiian
- Facilitates and provides professional education relating to dental
health issues and public policy (including issues and policy associated
with managed care, public assistance, services for persons with
disabilities, communicable disease and staff and patient safety).
- Provides an informational and educational resource for lay and
professional individuals and groups on matters associated with oral
medicine and dental health.
- Represents the Department and State at federal, national and
international primary care and dental public health forums.
- Coordinates with and responds to federal agency inquiries
associated with oral medicine and dental health.
- Maintains contracts and provides quality assurance oversight for
dental service activities taking place on State property.
- Oversees the provision of direct dental treatment services for
patients residing at State operated hospitals and long-term care
facilities and persons served at community-based dental clinics.
- Defines and monitors the `Standards of Dental Care' in Hawai`i and
maintains a program of Quality Assurance in association with the State
Board of Dental Examiners, other components of the Department of
Health, the Department of Human Services and the Department of Public
Division Chief: Mark H.K. Greer, D.M.D., M.P.H.
Lanakila Health Center
1700 Lanakila Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96817
Phone (808) 832-5700
Fax (808) 832-5722