To promote optimal oral health for the
residents of the State of Hawai`i through the development of public
policy which helps assure adequate access to basic dental care and
through the development and implementation of early detection, disease
prevention and treatment programs targeting high risk
The Dental Hygiene Branch carries out the
- Develops, produces, provides and maintains culturally and age
appropriate dental health promotion and education materials and
programs and teaching curricula addressing the needs of Hawai`i's
populations at highest risk for severe, chronic dental disease.
- Provides targeted school-based dental health assessment,
evaluation, referral and follow-up programs. Maintains a monitoring and
follow-up system to help assure that children in need of dental
treatment and disease prevention services gain access to care.
- Provides classroom-based oral health and hygiene training for
pre-school and elementary schools in rural and other highest risk areas
as well as other communities as time permits.
- Conducts periodic dental health status surveys, both Statewide and
targeting specific communities.
- Assists communities in the evaluation of service needs, strategic
planning and the development of (local and targeted) dental health
programs around the State.
- Participates in community-based health fairs and health promotional
events which target Hawai`i's highest needs populations, such as
Hawai`i's Head Start, Native Hawaiian, and immigrant populations.
- Provides clinical faculty support for
training programs associated with the University of Hawai`i School of
Nursing and Dental Hygiene.
- Provides technical assistance, consultative
and in-service training services to other State programs and private
agencies, including programs dealing with mental health,
developmentally disabled or delayed clients, frail elderly and early
- Provides dental evaluation and case
management services for patients receiving dental services from the
Department. Works in concert with the Hospital and Community Dental
Services Branch in assuring that qualified persons are assisted in a
timely and coordinated manner.
Branch Chief: Susan L. Tengan, R.D.H., B.A.
Lanakila Health Center
1700 Lanakila Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96817
Phone (808) 832-5700
Fax (808) 832-5722