Bacteriology and Parasitology
- Provides confirmation of specimens submitted under Hawaii Administrative
Rules (HAR), Chapter 11-156, such as Corynebacterium diphtheriae,
Haemophilus influenza B, Listeria monocytogenes, Neisseria gonorrhoeae,
PPNG, Neisseria meningitidis, Campylobacter spp., Vibrio spp.
, Salmonella spp. Shigella spp., and Yersinia spp
- Confirms or completes findings of other laboratories lacking resources
to conduct specialized procedures on isolates of significance to
the Department of Health.
- Provides resources for laboratory resources required in epidemiological
- Provides Salmonella and Shigella serological typing services to
identify enteric organisms involved in outbreaks, and provides epidemiological
data on tracking of these organisms.
- Provides laboratory confirmation on consultative services on blood
and enteric parasites to programs of the Department and other laboratories.
Bacterial Serology Unit:
- Performs Standard Test for syphilis (STS) for prenatal diagnostic
and reference testing.
- Performs treponemal specific STS to confirm all positive sera
submitted in accordance with HAR, Chapter 11-156.
- Performs other serological tests for the detection of antibodies
against bacterial and parasitological agents such as Toxoplasma
gondii, Leptospira spp., and Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
Hawaii Antibiogram for N. gonorrhoeae Isolates
Specimen Requirements for: