For more information go to: Who is Eligible to Apply for Certified Copies of Vital Records
- All applications requesting certified copies of birth, death, civil union, marriage,
and divorce certificates must generally be made in writing (application forms
may be downloaded from this site - see below). Requests may also be placed
for birth and marriage certificates on a limited basis through the Internet
FAX, or e-mail requests are not accepted.
- The Office of Health Status Monitoring only has divorce records from July 1951 to December 2002.
All other divorce records are kept in the court where the divorce took place.
- Fees for certified copies of birth, death, civil union, marriage, and divorce certificates
- $10.00 for the first copy of each certificate, and
- $4.00 for each additional copy of the same certificate ordered at the
- There is an additional fee for requests made through the Internet as follows:
- $1.50 for a request of one (the first) copy of each certificate, if
the requested certificate is found, or for the cost of conducting the
search, if the requested certificate is not found, and
- $0.25 for each additional copy of the same certificate ordered at the
- Fees may be paid by cash (except for applications made by postal mail),
money order, certified check, or cashier's check - make money order
and checks payable to the State Department of Health.
- PERSONAL CHECKS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- Fees must be paid by a charge to a credit card for requests made through
- All fees for certified copies are payable in advance and nonrefundable.
If no record is found after a search is conducted, the fees are retained to
cover the cost of the search.
- Once an order has been received and processed, a $10.00 fee will be charged
for any request to make changes to the order.
Apply In Person
Walk-in service is available:
- Days - Monday through Friday (excluding holidays)
- Hours - 7:45 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Location - Room 103 (1st floor) of the Health Department building,
1250 Punchbowl Street (corner of Beretania and Punchbowl Streets)
When applying in person, the applicant must show a valid government-issued
photo ID, such as a State ID, driver's license, etc.
Certified copies are usually not issued on the day the application
is made. Same-Day service may be provided upon presentation of written documentation
establishing the need for urgency. Certified copies will normally be available
for pick-up about 10 working days after the request is approved. The pick-up
time may be extended for records that are very old, because the search to locate
the record may take longer, or in the process of being filed, because the official
record is still being created.
Application forms are available in the building's lobby
area and should be filled in prior to coming to the counter in Room 103.
Apply by Mail
Send mail-in applications to the following address:
State Department of Health
Office of Health Status Monitoring
Issuance/Vital Statistics Section
P.O. Box 3378
Honolulu, HI 96801
When applying by mail, the applicant must include a photocopy
of his/her government-issued photo ID, such as a State ID, driver's license, etc.
PERSONAL CHECKS WILL BE REJECTED AND RETURNED WITH THE APPLICATION TO THE APPLICANT.
Certified copies will normally be sent out within 6-8 weeks after
receipt and approval of the application. The return time may be extended for
records that are very old, because the search to locate the record may take
longer, or in the process of being filed, because the official record is still
What Information You Should Be Prepared to Provide
An applicant/requestor must provide the information needed to
1) establish his/her direct and tangible interest in the record and 2) locate
the desired record. This will normally include:
- Applicant's name, address, and telephone number(s);
- Applicant's relationship to the person named on the certificate;
- Reason why you are requesting the certificate;
- Full name(s) as listed on the certificate;
- The certificate's file number (if known);
- Month, day, and year of the event; and
- City or town and the island where the event occurred.
- For birth certificates, also provide the full name of the father and the
full maiden name of the mother.
- If you are applying for a certificate on behalf of someone else, you must
provide an original letter signed by that person authorizing the release
of their certificate to you and a photocopy of that person's valid government-issued photo ID.
- Valid government-issued photo ID.
Letters of Verification
Letters of verification may be issued in lieu
of certified copies (HRS §338-14.3). This document verifies the existence
of a birth/death/civil union/marriage/divorce certificate on file with the Department of
Health and any other information that the applicant provides to be verified
relating to the vital event. (For example, that a certain named individual was
born on a certain date at a certain place.) The verification process will not,
however, disclose information about the vital event contained within the certificate
that is unknown to and not provided by the applicant in the request.
Letters of verification are requested in similar
fashion and using the same request forms as for certified copies.
The fee for a letter of verification is $5 per letter.
Application forms are available in a “fillable” Adobe Acrobat portable document
The Adobe Acrobat Reader is free to download and install on your computer
by clicking on the button:
Further Information and Assistance
If you require further information about applying
for certified copies of vital records or want to check on the status of an accepted
request for certified copies of vital records, call (808) 586-4539 or (808)
586-4542 during regular business hours.