You are here: Home Airport Information HNL 1960-1969

HNL 1960-1969

HNL1960s

A new airport was under construction in 1961.

 

1959-1960

Construction of the jet age terminal facilities for Honolulu International Airport proceeded according to schedule. Stage 1, which included site preparation and rough grading work on the north side of the airport where the new terminal facilities will be located, was completed in December 1959.  Work was immediately started on the next stage for building site development and construction of taxiways leading to the new terminal.

           

The HAC awarded contracts for the next succeeding construction stages.  These included construction of all electrical, water, drainage, sewer systems and communications ducts; electrical distribution systems; the terminal buildings, and grading and paving of aprons and installation of related utilities.

           

Work was started in February 1960 for the construction of all electrical, water, drainage, sewer systems and communication ducts.

           

Construction of the new Terminal Buildings was started in March 1960, and the Interisland Terminal was expected to be completed by the end of November 1960.  The Foreign Arrivals building was expected to be completed by the end of June 1961.  Construction work on the remaining two units of the terminal facilities, the Domestic Arrivals and Overseas Departure-Administration buildings, were underway and completion of these buildings was expected by the end of August 1961.

           

While all the construction activity was going on on the north side and a portion of the south side of the airport, aircraft activity, passenger traffic and related activities continued to increase, over-taxing the present inadequate terminal facilities.

 

Highlights             

August 1959

Qantas Empire Airways landed a Boeing 707 aircraft at Honolulu enroute to Sydney, Australia. The flight from San Francisco had taken 4 hours and 50 minutes. Qantas intended to purchase seven B707 to fly the route through Honolulu.

August 5-6, 1959

Hickam AFB runways were cleared of all aircraft—an unprecedented situation—when the Hawaiian Islands were alerted to the approach of Hurricane Dot.  Aircraft for which there was no hangar space were evacuated to Maui and Hawaii.

August 17, 1959

Hawaii was admitted to the Union as the 50th State. 

September 1959

Pan American Airways inaugurated Boeing 707 jet service between the mainland United States and Hawaii.

December 31, 1959

Under the Government Reorganization Act of 1959, the Hawaii Aeronautics Commission became part of the Department of Transportation and the Commissioners' terms expired on December 31, 1959.  The Reorganization Act abolished the Hawaii Aeronautics Commission as of July 1, 1961 when its functions were taken over by the Department of Transportation.  To bridge the gap from 1959 to 1961, temporary commissioners were appointed.

December 1959

Stage 1 for the new terminal at Honolulu International Airport was completed.  Stage two was begun immediately.

March 1960

United Air Lines began its DC-8 jet service between the Mainland and Honolulu.

FY 1960

Aircraft operations at the airport totaled 266, 254 landings and takeoffs, for an increase of 1.4 percent over the preceding year.

FY 1960

Commercial passenger traffic increased 33.3 percent over the preceding year. This increase was attributed to the effect of Statehood for Hawaii in August 1959 and the inauguration of jet aircraft service.  Interisland passenger traffic increased by 32.6 percent due to more visitors coming to Hawaii and traveling to the Neighbor Islands.

1959

Canadian Pacific Airlines initiated jet prop service to Australia from Vancouver via Hawaii in Bristol Britannia aircraft.

1959

A contract with Lockheed Air Terminal, Inc. was terminated at their request. Lockheed had helped with planning and financing of the new Honolulu Terminal but because they would be an operator at the airport they also wished to avoid any apparent conflict of interest.

 

 

1959-61

 

Highlights 

May 4, 1960

Ground breaking was held for the Hawaii Air National Guard fighter complex at Hickam AFB.  Completion was expected in July 1961 at a cost of $1.847 million.

May 22, 1960

The entire Hawaiian Island chain was put on alert for a possible tsunami.  Bellows was evacuated, aircraft moved to higher ground north of Runway 8 or to Wheeler. Hickam received the full force of the tsunami.

1960

There was a flurry of construction activity at Honolulu International and an overtaxing of the old facilities on the South Ramp. There were a total of 262,596 operations. Total passengers handled: 1,535,262.

December 31, 1960

Commercial passenger traffic increased 33.3 percent in 1960.

January 13, 1961

Use of Dillingham AFB by privately owned aircraft was the subject of a meeting due to concerns about the increasing hazards of air traffic at HNL. When the privately owned Kipapa airstrip was converted to housing, the military was approached for use of Wheeler or Bellows. This was not considered feasible by the military so Dillingham AFB was offered instead and a proposed lease negotiated.

April 1, 1962

The Naval Station at Ford Island was decommissioned.

 

 

1962-1963      

The new John Rodgers Terminal was sufficiently completed to be dedicated August 22, 1962, during the annual conference of the Airport Operators Council, held in Honolulu August 19-25, 1962.  Several members of the Legislature, as well as aviation officials, participated in the dedication program.  Keynote speakers were Najeeb Halaby, Federal Aviation Administration, and W. A. Patterson, United Air Lines president. 

           

On the day of the dedication, Pan American World Airways delayed its Flight No. 843 from San Francisco for 50 minutes to preface the formal program with the first commercial jet arrival at the new Terminal.

           

All operations ceased at the old Terminal at midnight, October 14, 1962, and the first passengers from the new Terminal departed for Japan shortly after midnight the following day.

           

The new airport, more than 14 years in the planning and building, was regarded as a $34 million investment. With its opening, Honolulu had caught up with the Jet Age.

           

The roofed area of the new passenger buildings covered about 550,000 square feet, or roughly five times the area of the old buildings they replaced.  The Crossroads of the Pacific at last had a facility that was appropriate to its rating as the nation’s ninth busiest airport.

           

The rating had been bestowed on Honolulu International Airport by the FAA on the basis of figures for the calendar year 1962. Aircraft movements, including arrivals and departures of all types of aircraft, totaled 266,561 for that period.

           

Travelers expressed concerns about the new airport, including: the access road system confused motorists; the system of signs and maps for the guidance of pedestrians was inadequate; and inter-line connecting passengers needed more frequent and more easily accessible ground transportation between the various arrival and departure terminals.  The airport was studying solutions to these problems.

           

Concessionaires within the overseas waiting lobby complained that foot traffic bypassed them because the design of the terminal took Mainland foreign arrivals and persons greeting them through separate arrival buildings.

           

The problem of providing a seaward jet runway to alleviate noise to neighborhoods surrounding the airport was still far from solution.  The difficulties of acquiring land and financing for this costly project appeared overwhelming.  Meanwhile, fuel tankers continued to make their noisy take-offs over Honolulu.  The airport hoped there would be a technical development that would eliminate the need for this flight path.

 

Highlights 

July 1, 1962

The Hawaii Visitors Information Program was established to welcome passengers at Honolulu International Airport and Honolulu Harbor, to encourage travel to the Neighbor Islands, and to provide information and other help to airport and harbor visitors.  As of June 30, 1963, the staff of the HVIP consisted of 33 full-time and nine part-time employees.

July 10, 1962

The widening of Taxiway X and restoration of P Road with a crossing over a new drainage ditch was completed at a cost of $113,463.82.

July 22, 1962

The Empress of Lima, a four-engine Britannia jet turboprop, crashed at 11:19 p.m. and burned while making an approach to Runway 8 on the Hickam Field portion of the airport.  Twenty-seven persons were killed and 13 survived.  It was the worst civil air carrier accident in the Islands’ history.  The Air Force Fire Department acted promptly to minimize loss of life.  Personnel of the Airport, Navy and City and County assisted in fighting the fire, maintaining order, and providing ambulances and other services. The crash dramatically showed the need for continued cooperation between the Air Force and the airport. Several meetings were held after the crash and a number of suggestions developed for further improvement of the pattern for teamwork.

August 20, 1962

Construction of the U.S. Department of State office building was completed. 

August 31, 1962

Construction of a wood and concrete building for 15 lei sellers was completed at a cost of $129,274.

September 1, 1962

The enlargement of a reinforced hollow tile building housing equipment for enplaning and deplaning passengers was competed at a cost of $47,869.

September 24, 1962

Construction of a interisland joint maintenance hangar building with 41,000 square feet for aircraft, excluding shop space, concrete walls, hollow tile partitions and a metal roof was completed at a cost of $1,229,223.

October 8, 1962

Construction of a concrete elevated walkway on the field side of the terminal and construction of nine rooms underneath the walkway for final ticketing and agricultural inspection was completed at a cost of $773,029.

October 15, 1962

Installation of amplifiers, wiring and loudspeakers for the overseas paging system was completed at a cost of $62,200.

November 13, 1962

Construction of the Ramp Control Tower and Aloha Airlines Lounges was completed.  Cost of this project and the Department of State building was $117,410.

December 7, 1962

Construction of a rigid-frame steel building, 70 by 160 feet, with freezer and chill rooms, each 35 by 20 feet, was completed as a Hawaiian Airlines Cargo Building.  Cost: $119,494.

1962

Prior to 1962 the major source of operating revenue for the Airport Special Fund was the Aviation Fuel Tax.  Although landing fees were collected, the amounts were very small ranging from a high of $2 for aircraft weighing more than 27,000 pounds down to a minimum of $0.25 for aircraft under 5,000 pounds.

January 22, 1963

Construction of nine pools (three with fountains and three with waterfalls), construction of a children’s playground, and landscaping of the overseas terminal area was completed at a cost of $633,808.54.

April 3, 1963

A Joint Use Agreement between Hickam AFB and Honolulu International Airport, was signed by Brig. Gen. John A. Rouse, Commander, PACAFBASECOM; and Dr. Fujio Matsuda, Director of Transportation for the State of Hawaii.  It specified that for the purpose of overall aerial and ground operation, Hickam AFB and HNL comprised a single airport complex.

April 30, 1963

Construction of two general aviation light plane hangars, each 120 by 144 feet, was completed at a cost of $354,413.

May 9, 1963

Construction of a high-speed taxiway and a concrete apron on the Ewa side of the terminal, drainage provisions and taxi way lighting was completed at a cost of $3,279,746.28.

FY 1963

Construction began on Roadway U, starting from Roadway E and extending makai for 300 feet to serve the overseas aircraft maintenance area and other new facilities; construction of Roadway S from the sewer pump station vicinity to the new Murrayair service area; and construction of Taxiways K, L and Z.  The contract amount was $783,251.

 

1963-1964

The continuing increase in air carrier activity at Honolulu International Airport created a greater need for a general aviation airfield in the central or southern part of Oahu, where most of the State’s population lived.  Private and light plane flying would be separated from the military and commercial air carriers.  So far, the State has not been able to find a suitable site for a general aviation airfield and to finance its acquisition.  Because of its rather remote location on northern Oahu, Dillingham Field was not considered a satisfactory answer to the needs of Oahu’s small plane operators.

           

A cable barrier-type arresting gear designed to save fighter planes with landing or takeoff problems was installed at the end of Runway 8.  The system operates on the same principle as that used aboard aircraft carriers where a hook descending from the tail of the plane holds onto one of the cables stretched across the tail of the runway and prevents the plane from overrunning the end of the landing strip.

           

The problem of providing a seaward jet runway at Honolulu International was on-going and the difficulties of acquiring land and financing were still the major hurdles holding up the solution of this costly project.  In the meantime, heavily laden fuel tankers continued to take off over Honolulu.

           

Complaints raised by concessionaires upon the opening of the new terminal, were resolved, and sales and profit margins were good.

 

Highlights 

July 8, 1963

President John F. Kennedy landed at HNL while visiting Hawaii.  

1963

A master lease was signed with the major airlines present in Hawaii. This document guided landing fees, leasing fees and support charges for more than 30 years. Leases were granted to: Aloha Airlines, British Overseas Airways Corp., Canadian Pacific Air Lines, Hawaiian Airlines, Japan Air Lines, Northwest Airlines, Pan American World Airways, Philippine Air Lines, Qantas Empire Airways and United Air Lines.  The term of the Airport-Airline lease was for 20 years with two five-year options to extend the lease.  The purpose of the lease negotiations was the concept of airport financing by landing fees to replace the aviation fuel tax.  The landing fee was called Airport Use Charge.  The fees were to be renegotiated every five years.  The plan provided that interisland airlines would pay a reduced airport use charge which is nine percent of the Airport Use Charge collected from overseas carriers.  Fuel taxes paid by the carrier were credited against the airport use charge.

FY 64

There were 296,198 aircraft operations at HNL, including 87,834 air carriers, 63,667 general aviation and 144,697 military.

September 24, 1963

Construction of Road U in the satellite storage area, extension of Road S in the fixed-base operator area, extension of Taxiway E, and construction of Taxiways Z and E was completed at a cost of $782,230.46.

December 28, 1963

Pan American inaugurated jet service to Tahiti through Honolulu.

December 31, 1963

The FAA rated Honolulu’s airport the 10th busiest in the nation in calendar year 1963.

April 1, 1964

Aloha Airlines inaugurated Hawaii’s first interisland scheduled night flight by offering evening service to Kauai at a reduced fare.  The flights proved so popular that both Aloha and Hawaii began regular night service from Honolulu to Kauai, Maui and the Big Island.

April 15, 1964

Strengthening of Runway 4R-22L and Taxiways C and E, and widening of Taxiway Y was completed at a cost of $543,267.11.

June 30, 1964

Night flights were inaugurated by Hawaiian Airlines.

1964

Both Runways 4L and 4R at HNL were resurfaced and a barrier arresting system was installed at the departure end of Runway 8 to provide a capability to save a fighter aircraft with takeoff or landing problems.

 

 

1964-1965

A demolition contract was awarded on June 17, 1965, for the removal of a familiar landmark at Honolulu International.  Originally built by the U.S. Navy in World War II, the old terminal building had withstood alterations, jet blast and insect infestation.  By the end of September 1965, only a few buildings housing freight and maintenance facilities remained in the old terminal area.

           

The number of air passengers moving through Honolulu International totaled nearly 3 million.  Of this total, 1,768,339 were overseas passengers passing through John Rodgers Terminal, an increase of 16.7 percent over fiscal year 1964.  Interisland passengers exceeded the one million mark for the first time, 1,151,739, an increase of 13.4 percent over the previous year.

 

Highlights 

July 12, 1964

Entertainer Arthur Godfrey arrived at Honolulu International amid an enthusiastic lei greeting from more than 200 people.  He was taken to an area across from the Lei Stands where a roadway was dedicated in his honor.  Known as Arthur Godfrey Circle, the roadway dedication was the first of many activities signaling the start of a Salute to Arthur Godfrey Week.  The ukulele-playing entertainer had been one of Hawaii’s most ardent supporters for more than 20 years.  He was also a certified commercial pilot and ambassador of Eastern Airlines.  Arthur Godfrey Circle was removed when the access ramps from the airport to the H-1 Freeway were built.

July 14, 1964

The resurfacing of portions of Runway 8-26 and 4L-22R and Taxiways B, D and G was completed at a cost of $263,979.

December 29, 1964

A contract was awarded for construction of additional roads and utilities at a cost of $114,866.95.

December 29, 1964

A contract was awarded for clearing and grubbing overseas maintenance area, relocation of hangars and construction of a concession building and Visitor Information booths, at a cost of $66,999.

March 4, 1965

Air conditioning of the fourth floor of the Administration Building was completed at a cost of $7,370.

June 22, 1965

A contract was awarded for painting of the Interisland Terminal Buildings, air conditioning the central tower and PAM hangars at a cost of $47,459.

 

1965-66

The need to prepare Honolulu International for the imminent arrival of the new “stretch out”, “Jumbo” and supersonic jets was a matter of deep concern.  Although legal difficulties were tying up funds required for master planning, staff was actively gathering information and exploring possible solutions to expected problems.

           

As the fiscal year ended, it appeared that the State was reaching an agreement with the airlines responsible for the fund freeze. Prospects were good that the airport would soon be able to finance full-scale planning for the anticipated increases in passenger and cargo traffic.

           

A $715,000 Air Force contract provided for the rehabilitation of 5,000-feet of Runway 8-26, including 2,000 feet on the Hickam portion and 3,000 feet on the Honolulu side of the Hickam/Honolulu Airport complex.  The project was completed on September 30, 1965.

           

The airport again proved its ability to handle dignitary arrivals with grace and ease. Some of the prominent persons to arrive by air in Honolulu were President Lyndon B. Johnson, Vice President Hubert Humphrey, Chief of State Nguyen Van Thieu of Viet Nam, Prime Minister Nguyen Cao Ky of Viet Nam and the Queen Mother Elizabeth of England.

           

Members of the Chinese community donated a statue of Dr. Sun Yet Sen to the airport.  Erection of this memorial to the founder of the Republic of China, who lived for many years in Hawaii, gave the airport’s Chinese Garden a new focal point of interest.

           

Dedication ceremonies were held on June 9, 1966 to officially open the new Crash Fire Station.

 

Highlights 

September 15, 1965

Demolition of the Old Terminal Building was completed at a cost of $13,700.

October 6, 1965

A project to paint the Interisland Terminal Buildings, air condition buildings and PAM Hangars was completed at a cost of $47,675.

October 8, 1965

Construction of additional roads and utilities, clearing and grubbing the overseas maintenance area, relocating hangars, and construction of VIP booth was completed at a cost of $67,502.87.

November 19, 1965

Construction of chain-link and redwood fences along Lagoon Drive and Aolele Street was completed at a cost of $25,519.81.

December 2, 1965

Resurfacing of Taxiways C and F was completed at a cost of $24,414.50.

December 20, 1965

Reconstruction of taxiways and shoulders, and alterations to roads and utilities in the overseas terminal area was completed at a cost of $94,996.43.

December 31, 1965

Honolulu International was the 16th busiest airport in the nation based on a 1965 total of 288,288 aircraft operations.

February 5, 1966

President Lyndon B. Johnson arrived at HNL with his cabinet and advisors for a summit meeting with Vietnamese officials and key military leaders.

February 26, 1966

In accordance with revised Rules and Regulations dated January 25, 1966, ground transportation operators providing service from public airports were notified by letter that they must obtain permits and pay certain fees for this privilege.

June 3, 1966

Construction of a four-stall fire and rescue equipment building was completed at a cost of $220,442.

June 9, 1966

The new Crash Fire Building was dedicated.

 

1966-67

Full-scale planning to prepare Honolulu International Airport for new and larger jet planes got off the ground in November 1966, with the appointment of Leigh Fisher Associates of San Francisco, highly reputed and experienced airport planners to develop the plan.

           

A law suit which had been tying up funds meant to finance the new master plan study was dropped by the airlines in July 1966 so that the airport was able to complete negotiations for the engagement of the consultant without further delay.

           

Airport planning received further impetus in January 1967 when Governor John A. Burns opened a precedent setting conference which brought together representatives of the principal agencies and elements directly involved in the operations and projected expansion of Honolulu International Airport.

           

The conference developed much information of value to the consultants, and was a prelude to the establishment of a 19-person Honolulu International Airport Task Force which offered continuing assistance to the airport in the perfection of the master plan.

           

The DC-8-61 (stretch out) was placed in service in February 1967.  Pan American World Airways planned to place the 400 passenger Boeing 747 in service by 1970.  Supersonic transports were expected to be flying into Hawaii by 1976.

           

To meet these milestones was the immediate planning objective at Honolulu.        

           

A strike against United and Northwest Airlines, which started on July 8, 1966, froze operations for 43 days.  Pan American moved many of the stranded passengers and set up special facilities and procedures for handling them. While the strike was in progress, many agencies and individuals worked together to ease the long wait of standbys (many of them returning vacationers) who were seeking places on PAA planes.

           

The Red Cross furnished cots and blankets, and as many as 200 persons were sleeping in John Rodgers Terminal at one time.  Interstate Hosts, the airport’s restaurant concessionaire, furnished free coffee and cookies, and Libby, McNeill and Lilly, which normally supplied free juice for dispensation by Visitors Information Program hostesses, provided greatly increased quantities during the emergency.

           

A musician’s union (Local 677, A.F. of M.) and a military band contributed entertainment.  The Visitors Information Program was the liaison agency for many acts of private generosity and hospitality extended to the stranded visitors, and ably demonstrated its value during the emergency. 

           

President Johnson was again welcomed at the airport.  Other dignitaries greeted at the airport during the year included the Vice-President of the Republic of China, Yen-Chia Kan; Crown Prince Akihito of Japan; the King and Queen of Thailand; Vice-President Lopez of the Philippines; the Duke and Duchess of Kent; and Vice President Polar of Peru.

           

The search for a new general aviation airfield continued.   The post of General Aviation Officer was filled for the first time in May, 1966, and the appointee spent most of his time investigating 18 or 20 site possibilities.  A site at Mililani emerged as the most desirable location studied in Central Oahu for the development of a new airport, and the Airports Division was hopeful of securing part of Bellows Field on Windward Oahu for general aviation use.

 

Highlights 

December 31, 1966

There were a total of 287,199 aircraft operations at HNL in 1966, making it the 20th busiest airport in the nation as determined by the FAA.

January 16, 1967

A contract for relocation of hangars and airfield improvements was awarded at a cost of $118,267.

June 9, 1967

A contract for the extension of the Interisland Ramp was awarded at a cost of $57,512.

June 15, 1967

Runway 8-26, the main runway of the Honolulu International Airport-Hickam AFB complex, was partially closed for repairs for 25 days.  The closure permitted the Air Force to complete major reconstruction work on its portion of the runway.  This included placing a 75-foot wide concrete keel down the center of the runway extending 1,800 feet east from the previously constructed concrete pad. 

 

1967-1968

The airline industry announced the “common fare” package that allowed unlimited stop-overs on each of the four major islands at a fare of $5 for each, except for one free stop-over at the turn-around point of the journey.  The plan saved visitors up to $48.90 over the old fare structure and stimulated air travel to all of the islands. 

           

Intensified planning continued for the expansion program which would equip Honolulu International to handle the new generation jumbo jets.  The increase in both passenger and freight traffic was expected from the new types of planes and from certification by the Civil Aeronautics Board of new trans-Pacific routes.

           

The Honolulu International Airport Task Force completed its first full year of conferences and studies.  On June 20, 1968, the Director of Transportation submitted the recommendation of this citizens’ advisory committee to the Governor. A summary of the technical considerations entering into the recommendations was being prepared by Leigh Fisher Associates, which acted as staff to the task force.

           

The plan to build the Boeing 747 terminal building with second-level loading for five gate positions at the end of the Y concourse was reconsidered on practical grounds.

           

With the first jumbo jets expected by December 1969, the Task Force decided that the original plan should be altered to minimize serious dislocation of passenger movement, aircraft fueling and servicing, and to reduce costs.  The total cost of all HNL developments over the next dozen years was expected to reach $100 million.

           

About $37 million worth of preparation was necessary to provide for the scheduled inaugural arrival of the first Boeing 747 in December 1969, and for the increased traffic expected by June 1970.

           

Phase I improvements would increase the airport’s capacity from about four million to eight million enplaning and deplaning passengers annually.

           

The Ralph M. Parsons Company of Los Angeles was engaged to design and manage the construction of the airport expansion program.  It was the first time in the history of the State that a single firm had been engaged to coordinate all of these phases of a massive public works program.

           

Implementation of the expansion plan was underway.  New holding rooms were opened for use, baggage claim areas were expanded and modern equipment installed, the Governor’s Lounge was relocated and improved, the post office relocated and the employees’ cafeteria was expanded and modernized.

           

A consultant was retained for the establishment of a Central Oahu Airport for General Aviation.  Cadastral and topographic surveys were completed and engineering plans and specifications were completed.  Federal aid in the amount of $384,905 was provided for the project.

           

The airport also enlisted the aid of the U.S. Comptroller General and the U.S. General Accounting Office in its efforts to obtain a portion of Bellows Field for general aviation use.  Negotiations progressed slowly with the FAA and the U.S. Department of Defense.  It was hoped that the Secretary of Defense would render a favorable decision on the request in 1969.

           

Some of the pressure on Honolulu was relieved when Hilo’s General Lyman Field achieved jet capacity early in 1965, when its runway was lengthened to 9,800 feet.  On October 1, 1967, Pan American World Airways and United Air Lines pioneered direct scheduled flights between the Mainland U.S. and Hilo.

           

Among the airport’s distinguished arrivals were President Lyndon B. Johnson, Vice President Hubert Humphrey, the Queen Mother of Thailand, President Park of Korea, Madame Chiang Kai-Shek, the first ladies of the Philippines and Brazil, the Crown Princes of Laos, Japan, Nepal and Tonga, and the Prime Ministers of Thailand, Singapore, Japan, Tonga, Western Samoa, Australia, New South Wales and the Cook Islands.

 

Highlights 

June 1967

During the first two weeks of June, Honolulu International welcomed its largest single group of visitors—14,000 participants arriving for the American Bar Association’s annual convention.

October 9, 1967

The Interisland ramp extension was completed at a cost of $57,512.

November 15, 1967

The roof of the new terminal building was resealed and repaired at a cost of $23,218.

December 1967

The first Aero-Space Museum exhibit, an F-861 Sabrejet was installed in the garden area of HNL near the U.S. Customs Building.

December 13, 1967

A project to relocate Hangars 4 and 6 and make other improvements, additional taxiways and paving was completed at a cost of $127,278.11.

February 20, 1968

A contract was awarded for the furnishing of the Governor’s VIP Lounge at a cost of $15,365.52.

February 21, 1968

A contract was awarded to strengthen Runway 8-26 at a cost of $990,499.

April 1968

The Governor’s Lounge was inaugurated as the center of official hospitality at the airport.

FY 1967-68

Work was underway for the expansion of the employees’ cafeteria, relocation of the post office, and construction of a new Governor’s VIP Lounge at a cost of $90,037.12.

FY 1967-68

Work was underway for new Taxiway D lights, the transfer of electric power to the new terminal, and replacement of cables for $241,938.17.

FY 1967-68

An additional Visitor Information Booth was installed in the Domestic Arrivals area.  Two more booths were planned in the Interisland terminals.

FY 1967-68

Visitor information hostesses speaking foreign languages were assigned to the airport.  Their linguistic versatility was of assistance to the federal border services as well as to the foreign passengers.

FY 1967-68

The General Aviation Officer organized a three-day flight instructor clinic conducted by instructors from the FAA Aeronautical Center in Oklahoma.  The clinic was attended by 65 local flight instructors.  The purpose was to upgrade the quality and standardization of flight instruction in Hawaii.

FY 1967-68

Work was underway to build holding room 7, expand the baggage claim and install carousels, a pedestrian overpass and escalators, at a cost of $576,824.19.

FY 1967-68

Work was underway for the Taxiway K extension and installation of illuminated taxiway signs at a cost of $324,768.58.

1968

The stretched DC-8-61 was put into service and Pan American World Airways announced plans to place the 400 passenger Boeing 747 into service by 1970.

June 15, 1968

HNL received a five-story pagoda from the people of Hiroshima for display in the Japanese Garden in commemoration of Japanese immigration to Hawaii.

 

1968-1969

The expansion of Honolulu International Airport, subject of intensive planning since 1966, moved into the construction stage on March 7, 1969 when a groundbreaking ceremony was held for the new Diamond Head Gull Wing.  The first gate position of the extension was expected to be ready to welcome Honolulu’s first Boeing 747 on March 1, 1970.

           

The groundbreaking ceremony for the Gull Wing symbolized the start of the first major permanent construction under a $38 million program authorized by the State Legislature.

           

The 747 was capable of carrying from 397 to 490 passengers, as compared with the 251 carried by the DC-8-63 stretch-out, the largest plane then serving the islands, and about 155 carried by the 707, a standard trans-Pacific jet.

           

Pan American World Airways was planning to place its first Boeing 747 in Atlantic service in January 1970, and to initiate 747 service in the Pacific shortly thereafter.

           

The Diamond Head ticket lobby was extended during 1969 to provide temporary facilities for airlines expected to inaugurate service into Honolulu as a result of the new Pacific air route awards.

           

Braniff International, Continental and Western Airlines were prepared to inaugurate Hawaii operations on July 1, 1969, but the Civil Aeronautics Board announced on June 24, 1969, that their trans-Pacific route awards had been postponed.

           

Other airlines affected by the CAB postponements in the trans-Pacific air route case were United and Northwest Airlines, which already operated to Hawaii from West Coast gateways and were ticketed for non-stop rights between Hawaii and major inland cities.

           

Northwest was planning to inaugurate California-Orient service August 1, 1969, under the only rights made firm in connection with the trans-Pacific case.

           

The most noticeable evidence of the expansion program at Honolulu International was the changes in parking.  The vehicle parking spaces were relocated to clear the way for construction of a five-story parking structure designed to accommodate 2,000 cars.  The building was scheduled to be completed in December 1969.

           

Three additional employee parking lots were created during the year and another overflow lot was opened prior to the summer peak traffic period.

           

An Air Commuter Terminal was opened near the Domestic Arrivals Area, and construction began on a temporary Foreign Arrivals Terminal between the two. Permanent car rental offices were constructed in the Domestic Arrivals section.

           

Taxiway K underwent two modifications.  In July 1968, the taxiway was extended southward to service both Runways 4L and 4R as a high-speed turnoff.  In June 1969, Taxiway K was extended further toward the main terminal to provide access to the Air Commuter Terminal and to Overseas Gates 1 through 5, which were relocated and no longer accessible via Taxiway Y.

           

Finding a site for the long-sought Central Oahu general aviation airport was still unresolved.  The State was unable to obtain rezoning approval from the City and County of Honolulu for a site at Mililani.  Negotiations for the use of Bellows Field continued with the Department of Defense and the FAA.

           

Mindful of the human drama and excitement ever present in the daily operation of a major international airport, both Universal Films and the Hawaii Five-O television series used Honolulu as background for filming during the year. 

 

Highlights 

July 1968

United Air Lines inaugurated stretched DC-8 flights into Honolulu with a schedule of four flights a day. The number was expected to increase to 10.

July 1968

President Lyndon B. Johnson and South Vietnam’s President Thieu were both honored at the airport with greeting and departure ceremonies.

July 17, 1968

The furnishing and delivery of furniture to the VIP Lounge was completed at a cost of $12,950.22.

July 21, 1968

Construction of Taxiway K and installation of Taxiway illumination signs was completed at a cost of $307,769.

July 26, 1968

Alterations to the Post Office, VIP Lounge and Employee’s Cafeteria were completed at a cost of $86,532.

September 23, 1968

Construction on Taxiway D was completed at a cost of $224,291.

October 1968

Hawaii’s first scheduled air taxi operations involving Short Take Off and Landing (STOL) aircraft were inaugurated by Air Hawaii, using DeHavilland Twin Otters.  Initially an average of four flights originated daily from Honolulu for the Neighbor Islands.  This service expanded during the year.

November 23-24, 1968

The United States Air Force Thunderbirds aerobatic team operated from Honolulu International sharing their inflight aerobatics with thousands of Waikiki and Windward Oahu residents.

December 31, 1968

The FAA rated HNL the 27th out of 318 FAA-operated airports in the national during 1968, with aircraft operations totaling 326,292.

December 16, 1968

Dismantling and storing of Hangar Numbers 4 and 6 was completed at a cost of $17,725.

December 18, 1968

The Civil Aeronautics Board awarded Northwest, Pan American and United Airlines additional routes to Hawaii. New carriers American, Braniff, Continental, Trans-World and Western Airlines were also awarded routes to Hawaii.

1968

The Air Force shut down their portion of Runway 8L at HNL to place a 75 foot wide concrete keel as major reconstruction. This took 25 days.

January 29, 1969

A contract was awarded for construction of Taxiways G and L at a cost of $1,991,283.

January 29, 1969

A contract was awarded for the furnishing and delivery of seven baggage claim carousels at a cost of $22,754.

January 1969

A common fare package was conceived which would allow visits to four islands for $5 for each intermediate leg and a free turn-around leg. This air travel stimulation package was well-intended by the airlines but did not last long.

January-June 1969

Expansion of HNL continued with Lagoon Drive (airport perimeter road) moved to make room for the extension of Runway 4R-22L, and construction of additional parking spaces, an air taxi wing, and interisland terminal.  In addition, a hydraulic model of the proposed Reef Runway was built to investigate water pollution, tidal wave possibilities, and impact on Hickam Harbor.

February 3, 1969

A contract was awarded to furnish and deliver pre-cast beams, columns and planks for the Diamond Head extension ticket lobby building, at a cost of $40,641.

February 3, 1969

A contract was awarded to furnish and deliver pre-stress concrete beams for the parking structure at a cost of $412,286.

February 17, 1969

Foundations for the Domestic Arrivals and Y Course improvements and alterations were completed at a cost of $139,436.

February 20, 1969

A contract was awarded for the furnishing, and delivery of pre-cast and/or pre-stress tees and joists for the Diamond Head structure, at a cost of $94,100.

February 20, 1969

Construction of Satellite Auto Parking Lots and expansion to the existing parking lots was completed at a cost of $81,535.

February 24, 1969

A contract was awarded for the furnishing and delivery of steel pipe for the Aircraft Fueling System at a cost of $324,356.

February 25, 1969

A contract was awarded for phase two of the construction of improvements and alterations to the Domestic Arrivals and Y Course buildings, at a cost of $1,363,000.  Completed July 15, 1969.

February 25, 1969

A contract was awarded for the furnishing delivery and installation of six elevators in the parking structure, at a cost of $184,855.

March 5, 1969

A contract was awarded for construction of foundations for the parking structure at a cost of $719,145.

March 5, 1969

Construction of foundations for the Interisland Terminal was completed at a cost of $24,925.

March 11, 1969

Alterations to the ramp building and baggage claim area and installation of escalators for the ticket lobby were completed at a cost of $551,248.

March 14, 1969

Relocation of power and communication cables in the existing parking lot was completed at a cost of $71,815.

March 18, 1969

A contract was awarded for the furnishing, delivery and installation of 10 escalators in the Gull Wing structure, at a cost of $377,499.  Completed June 10, 1970.

March 20, 1969

The resurfacing of Runway 4L-22R was completed at a cost of $315,650.

March 25, 1969

A contract was awarded for construction of improvements and alterations for the Interisland Terminal at a cost of $1,761,684.  Completed September 2, 1969.

April 1, 1969

A contract was awarded for relocating the aircraft fuel hydrants at Gates 1 through 5 at a cost of $372,933.

April 7, 1969

Construction of foundations for the Diamond Head Gull Wing was completed at a cost of $79,968.

April 8, 1969

A contract was awarded for construction of pile caps, grade tie beams and first floor columns for the Diamond Head Gull Wing structure, at a cost of $224,946.

April 9, 1969

A contract was awarded for construction of office additions and alterations to the ticket lobby building at a cost of $219,560.  Completed July 16, 1969.

April 15, 1969

A contract was awarded for the furnishing, delivery and installation of centrifugal water chilling units for the Gull Wing structures at a cost of $65,780.

April 15, 1969

A contract was awarded for the furnishing, delivery and installation of water cooling towers for the Gull Wing structure at a cost of $25,292.  Completed August 26, 1969.

April 15, 1969

A contract was awarded for the construction of the Diamond Head extension to ticket lobby building at a cost of $338,000.

April 18, 1969

The realignment of Lagoon Drive was completed at a cost of $170,941.

April 21, 1969

A contract was awarded for furnishing, delivery and installation of a unit electrical substation in the Diamond Head Gull Wing building, at a cost of $66,994.

May 1969

The State issued $40 million of Airport Revenue Bonds.  Of this issue, $8,445,000 was serial bonds with maturity dates of July 1, 1972-1979, and the remainder was term bonds due July 1, 1994 and bearing 5.9 percent interest.  The bonds were issued to pay the cost of improvements and additional facilities for Honolulu International and other state airports.  They were payable solely from and secured solely by a first lien on the receipts of the aviation fuel tax and the revenues of the airports system.

May 1, 1969

A contract was awarded for the construction of the Diamond Head Gull Wing Apron and Taxiways A and Z at a cost of $3,446,063.

May 7, 1969

A contract was awarded for construction of the parking structure at a cost of $5,264,000.

May 13, 1969

Strengthening of the Manuwai Canal Culvert was completed at a cost of $116,400.

May 20, 1969

Site preparation for the parking structure was completed at a cost of $175,895.

June 5, 1969

A contract was awarded for the construction of the Diamond Head Gull Wing structure at a cost of $3,750,000.  Completed February 20, 1970.

June 6, 1969

A contract was awarded for furnishing and delivery of 15 loading bridges for five Gull Wing gate positions at a cost of $1,241,650. The project was completed on January 11, 1971.

June 9, 1969

Construction of the extension of Taxiway K was completed at a cost of $217,405.

1969

The Honolulu Fuels Subcommittee formed the Honolulu Fueling Facilities Corporation with financial commitments from 12 air carriers and from Lockheed Air Terminal, Inc. The corporation arranged for lease of the hydrant fueling system at HNL and hired LAT as the manager of the fuel storage and hydrant fuel system.

  

 To learn more about the history of HNL click on a decade below:

 

1925-1929

1930-1939

1940-1949

1950-1959

1970-1979

1980-1989

1990-1999

2000-Present

 

Document Actions