The purpose of SHPDA is to "promote accessibility for all the people of the State to quality health care services at reasonable cost."
To accomplish this purpose, SHPDA's functions are to:
- Administer the State's Certificate of Need (CON) program
- Serve as staff in the preparation, revision, and implementation of the State’s Health Services and Facilities Plan
- Conduct studies and investigations regarding the causes of health care costs
- Promote the sharing of facilities or services by health care providers to achieve economies of scale and restrict unusual costly services
- Conduct coordinated health planning activities and determine health needs of the State.
To learn about the history and purpose of SHPDA, please view SHPDA’s Orientation/Powerpoint Presentation please click here.
American Health Planning Association
For more information about health services planning and certificate-of-need, please visit